Main Conference Day One
7:30 am - 8:15 am Registration and morning coffee
8:15 am - 8:30 am Chair’s opening for OPEX Summer: Business Transformation Leaders SummitLeslie Behnke - Business Transformation and Operational Excellence Executive Leslie Behnke OPX Consulting Inc.
Leslie BehnkeBusiness Transformation and Operational Excellence Executive
Leslie Behnke OPX Consulting Inc.
8:30 am - 8:50 am Plenary Keynote A global progression of business and digital transformation to be customer obsessed: An Ericsson case studyNathan Hillman - Head of Performance and Transformation Ericsson North America
· What does Ericsson’s transformation framework look like?
· Aligning strategy transformation with tangible and measurable initiatives
· Developing customer obsessed processes and metrics
· Measuring the performance from the customers perspectives
· What’s next on our digital transformation agenda?
Nathan HillmanHead of Performance and Transformation
Ericsson North America
8:50 am - 9:10 am Plenary Keynote Redefine business excellence in the new age: A new success recipe through service, innovation and organizational agility
Companies face competition from not only traditional players in the same market place, but also the disruptive brands who have build their business models around their customers and have no legacy systems and a very flat and agile organizational structure. Understanding how the core principles of operational excellence are carried through these innovative companies can bring enormous values for both traditional and new market players.
- Developing business excellence through customer obsession, innovation and employee engagement
- How can operational excellence play a role in an environment where disruptive innovation dominates the culture
- Developing a process framework where continue improvement thrives
9:10 am - 9:30 am Sponsored plenary Embedding RPA at the heart of technology, people & process triangle to achieve true business excellence for 2018 and onwardsGuy Kirkwood - Chief Evangelist UiPath
RPA has proven to be a powerful enabler for many organizations to achieve business transformation. What are the questions that
need answers from OPEX teams when implementing Enterprise RPA? In conversations with customers, partners and analysts,
Guy harbors a lot of insights and will share answers to some of the key questions in this keynote, touching the key elements of
technology, people & process
• Technology: Is RPA purely about technology?
• People: How to prepare, manage and upskill your workforce?
• Process: How is RPA completely transforming the way processes are managed?
Guy KirkwoodChief Evangelist
9:30 am - 10:10 am OPEX Power Talk Round 1: InnovationKevin Goldsmith - Chief Technology Officer AVVO
William Botha - Senior Director Operational Excellence Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical
Vipul Vohra - Enterprise Director, OPEX & Quality Aon Affinity
3 speakers will give 10 min powerful TED style innovation and transformation case studies they have implemented in their organizations. Pure value delivered in the most compact and powerful way.
Build a fail-safe autonomous team culture to drive innovation and agility
· A new way to increase innovation through the company culture
· Improve organizational agility without losing accountability
· Develop data-driven decision making processes
Kevin Goldsmith, Chief Technology Officer, AVVO
Innovation program case study from biotech industry
· Outlining the innovation program from Ultragenyx
· Kaizen principles driving innovation
William Botha, Senior Director Operational Excellence, Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical
Master the secret of sustained innovation: engage people and optimize process fast
· Foster innovation in a large organization
· Real innovations are not just from the labs: Engage employees to have a fail fast mindset
Vipul Vohra, Enterprise Director, OPEX & Quality, Aon Affinity
Kevin GoldsmithChief Technology Officer
William BothaSenior Director Operational Excellence
Vipul VohraEnterprise Director, OPEX & Quality
10:10 am - 10:40 am Morning refreshments and networking break in the exhibition hall
10:40 am - 11:20 am A Transformation leaders panel: Spearhead your transformation from people, technology and process perspectivesKevin Goldsmith - Chief Technology Officer AVVO
Jean Hammelev - Vice President, Operational Excellence Sonora Quest Laboratories
Transformation is not a business advantage: It is a business imperative in 2018. Join this keynote panel session and hear transformation chiefs from leading organisations dissecting key strategies, tactics and potentially pitfalls to avoid along the transformation journey.
· Tying strategic planning, enterprise PMO, Process excellence, digital innovations together for an end to end strategic transformation blueprint
· Where do you allocate your resources with so many competing priorities?
· Building the transformation backbone with the people: what’s the right approach to lead your transformation and get your people on board?
· How to move quicker and become more agile in decision making throughout your transformation?
Kevin GoldsmithChief Technology Officer
Jean HammelevVice President, Operational Excellence
Sonora Quest Laboratories
11:20 am - 11:40 am Sponsored Keynote: Automated Process Mining – the Key to Success for RPA and Transformation ProjectsSofia Passova - President StereoLOGIC
Stan Passov - SVP Product Management StereoLOGIC
Scott Gorman - SVP, New Business & Product Development ivari Canada
In this presentation you will learn about practical methods that will help you to reduce project risks and accomplish successful results. These methods were successfully used in dozens of companies and helped to deliver the projects faster and with higher ROI.
•How to accelerate preparation of processes for RPA and increase FTE savings
•How to reduce risks and costs of transformation projects
•Case studies from North American insurance companies Texas Life and ivari
Stan PassovSVP Product Management
Scott GormanSVP, New Business & Product Development
11:40 am - 12:00 pm Plenary case study A progressive operational excellence for sustainability and performancePenny Meier - Vice President, Lean Deployment Ameriprise Financial Services
Penny will share a unique sustainability framework that Ameriprise has tightly weaved into their business and performance structure to achieve sustained business improvement and performance.
· Introducing Ameriprise Sustainability Framework and how its adding value to performance improvement
· Effectively using the framework to continue building capability and competency and drive business goals
· Build and sustain the momentum of a lean community
· Weaving the framework into the performance management structure to ensure culture transformation
Penny MeierVice President, Lean Deployment
Ameriprise Financial Services
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
IDGs: Strategy Transformation
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG A: Toward Industry 4.0: An Organization’s Journey
79% of executives do not have a mature plan in place for the Digital Industrial Transformation. In this interactive roundtable, we will discuss the roles that predictive analytics, machine learning and data scientists play in the manufacturing journey toward Industry 4.0. Minitab will share key research findings regarding top business challenges faced by leaders like yourself, and we will discuss the steps that organizations are taking in the world today to overcome them.
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG B: Developing company wide continuous improvement capabilities: Approaches and strategiesJamion Berry - Director of Continuous Improvement McDonald’s Corporation
· Developing a roadmap from OPEX strategy to execution
· What are the capability plans for the OPEX roadmap
· Driving OPEX across the entire organization: It is here to say
Jamion BerryDirector of Continuous Improvement
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG C: Leading through the change to drive business transformationDan Jarmel - Director of Process & Quality Excellence Pacific Gas and Electric Company
· Crafting a transformation vision that is relevant to different teams
· Developing a framework with key steps and responsibilities
· Transformation is here to stay: Aiming for long term sustainability
Dan JarmelDirector of Process & Quality Excellence
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG D: How to measure and communicate the success of the OPEX program?Vic Alexanian - Director, Quality & Process Excellence CME Group
· Developing KPIs and metrics to measure your OPEX effectiveness
· Telling a tale of growth instead of efficiency
· Building a business case by demonstrating quick ROIs
Vic AlexanianDirector, Quality & Process Excellence
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG E: GDPR & BPM – Where the rules meet the toolsRobert Thacker - Director, Global Product Marketing & Enablement iGrafx
Join an iterative discussion based on the new General Data Protection Regulations and why process is at the heart of compliance.
Robert ThackerDirector, Global Product Marketing & Enablement
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG F: A progressive OPEX: What happens after 10+ years of continuous improvement?Amber Brown - Director, Strategic Initiatives UnionBank - MUFG
· Changing the way you change to drive sustainable improvement
· Seizing improvement opportunities brought by the change of business landscape
· Driving stakeholder behaviors for long term continuous improvement sustainability
· Re-aligning with new business objectives and strategies
Amber BrownDirector, Strategic Initiatives
UnionBank - MUFG
IDGs: Technology Excellence & Digital Transformation
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG I: RPA & Cognitive computing: Achieving end to end intelligent automation
· Understanding different roles of RPA and cognitive technologies in process optimization
· Where does cognitive take over in the intelligent automation journey?
· Going beyond the buzz to create business impact with cognitive capabilities
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG J: RPA & BPM: How do they work seamlessly together to drive performance?
· How is RPA and BPM complimenting each other to ensure long term business success
· Embedding RPA in your BPM infrastructure to create maximized business result
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG K: Business intelligence accelerating operational excellence
· How is business intelligence playing a more important role in todays business transformation efforts
· Developing a business intelligence framework by having business and IT collaborating with each other
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG L: OPEX & Analytics - A new data driven OPEX reality
· The increasing role of data & analytics in the new OPEX reality
· Going beyond reporting with your data – driving insights and empowering decision making through data
· Integrating your data sets to ensure consistency and accuracy
IDGs: Customer Centric Transformation
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG N: Connecting the dots through customer journeySundar Chari - Director, Change Management, Revenue Management Hertz
· Journey maps create a story, what story are you telling your customers?
· Technology vs. sticky notes: what’s the best way to create a journey map?
· How to use journey maps to drive operational and process change?
Sundar ChariDirector, Change Management, Revenue Management
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG O: Customer co-creation: How are you actually implementing it?
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG P: Design thinking: A customer centric process redesign
· Re-engineer end to end process with a customers lense on where the value lies
· How is innovative technology enhancing design thinking methodologies
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG Q: Creating improvement programs to solve the customer pain pointsRakhi Seth-Forrest - Manager Operations Process and Consumer Fraud HBO
· How to effectively transform call centers to improve customer experience
· Leveraging call center insights to drive performance improvement
Rakhi Seth-ForrestManager Operations Process and Consumer Fraud
IDGs: Innovation & Culture Transformation
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG R:Making change stick: Developing ownership, responsibility and accountabilityReka Mishra - Director Enterprise PMO Centre of Excellence SVB Financial Group
· Exploring effective ways of leading and sustaining change
· Ensuring ownership, responsibility and accountability are developed, communicated and followed through
Reka MishraDirector Enterprise PMO Centre of Excellence
SVB Financial Group
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG S: An agile approach to business transformationRichard Mellow - First Vice President – Enterprise Agile Transformation SunTrust
· Delivering value and driving speed at the same time
· Integrating Business and IT with agile transformation
Richard MellowFirst Vice President – Enterprise Agile Transformation
1:00 pm - 2:55 pm IDG T: OPEX sustainability: What are the best practices in keeping up the momentum?Jim Hinderks - Global Operations & Continuous Improvement Hertz
· Building a holistic system of environmental support that allows an improvement culture to sustain
· The important role of leaders in OPEX sustainability: How to keep them actively involved
· Constantly upskilling and training the workforce to ensure the DNA is passed on
Jim HinderksGlobal Operations & Continuous Improvement
2:55 pm - 3:35 pm Solution Providers Demo Drive
3:35 pm - 4:05 pm Afternoon break
Track A: Strategy transformation4:05 pm - 4:35 pm A principle based method to bring your organization through lean transformation: Adaptive, Practical and Progressive Mohamed Saleh - Director, Operational Excellence Hartford Healthcare
Connie Flores - Lean Sensei Hartford Healthcare
• Focusing on principles rather than tools: Defining the system according to the characteristics of the organization
• Sharing the 4 domains of work and how they are carried out to form the backbone of transformation: Management System, Production/Operations System, Problem Solving Muscle, People Development
• A year over year progressive journey: Mistakes and lessons learned along the way
Mohamed SalehDirector, Operational Excellence
Connie FloresLean Sensei
Track B: Technology Excellence & Digital Transformation4:05 pm - 4:35 pm Case study: Building a centre of excellence for RPA scale up to accelerate digital transformation Lee Blackburn - Director, PMO Getinge
- Developing a center of excellence (COE) to scalable and effective competencies and capabilities
- Designing and ensuring the right mix of skillsets and roles for COE
- Gaining quick wins to transform into entering enterprise-wide adoption
- Ensuring governance for sustainability
Lee BlackburnDirector, PMO
Track C: Customer Centric Transformation4:05 pm - 4:35 pm Forget about the tools: Start your transformation with customers at heart Daniel Abrantes - Global Change and Communications Manager IKEA
· IKEA’s multi-channel transformation initiative to expand the instore experience to a seamless customer experience
· Deep change: Changing fundamentally our supply chain to accommodate needs of our customers
· Our approach: A value based and customer centric transformation
· Defining leadership responsibilities and developing leadership capabilities
· Managing change on individual and relationship level
Daniel AbrantesGlobal Change and Communications Manager
Track D: Innovation & Culture Transformation4:05 pm - 4:35 pm Case study: Lead with respect: Story of a sustainable cultural transformation at The Standard Kush Pathak - Enterprise Head, Lean COE The Standard
- Transforming 50% of workforce through Lean production & management systems
- A coaching based approach to engage leadership and influence the culture
- Measuring the outcome to ensure the transformation is on the right track
- Building internal capability to sustain improvement
Kush PathakEnterprise Head, Lean COE
4:35 pm - 4:40 pm 5 minute transition
4:40 pm - 5:10 pm Strategic OPEX Governance: Aligning continuous improvement with company strategiesKevin Wojcikewych - Vice President Business Optimization Labcorp
· Identifying the key company strategies and communicating to the PMO for alignment
· Optimizing resource allocation for strategic and needle moving initiatives
· Governance: identify potentially opportunity for improvement and mapping them out for execution
· Tracking and measuring the results for continuous improvement and ensure the results are aligned with strategic objectives
Kevin WojcikewychVice President Business Optimization
4:40 pm - 5:10 pm Panel Discussion: Business Intelligence and process automation accelerating business transformationDC Chang - Director Internal Audit Nordstrom
• Developing a Business Intelligence strategy for your transformation
• Adopting a data first mindset for better decision making
• How is intelligent analytics and Robotic process automation work hand in hand to deliver business results
DC ChangDirector Internal Audit
4:40 pm - 5:10 pm Driving client centricity across the organization and how is data connecting all the dots: A Radial case studyRobin Gomez - Director Data and Analytics Radial
Robin wears 2 hats at Radial – owner of OPEX in customer care whilst leading the data and analytics team to connect the dots across the entire operations organization. This session will showcase the pioneering work they have been implementing to transform customer experience.
· Turning siloed data into unified insights across the entire organization
· Driving strategy alignment through operational excellence initiatives
· Implementing RDA projects to provide a seamless customer journey
· Connecting disparate data sources across the organization: Preparing for robust predictive analytics, internal KPIs to drive unification and real time decision making
Robin GomezDirector Data and Analytics
4:40 pm - 5:10 pm A structured approach to drive business agilityBeth Schmidt - Vice President Business Process & Project Management Mutual of Omaha
This session will outline a structured framework and key elements in driving enterprise wise business agility and high performing teams.
· What are the key pillars that define business agility
· Think systemically: driving enterprise agility through a dedicated enterprise PMO
· Create a culture of continuous improvement to drive business performance
· Designing an agile business structure where functional teams can work together for better collaboration
Beth SchmidtVice President Business Process & Project Management
Mutual of Omaha
5:10 pm - 5:15 pm 5 minute transition
5:15 pm - 5:45 pm Case study: Shining a Light on Solar Construction Operations - A Digital TransformationRandy Batchelor - Director RP Construction Services (RPCS)
RP Construction Services (RPCS), a fast-growing solar installer, found itself in the dark. Mired in manual processes, RPCS had poor visibility into project delays and challenges meeting reporting requirements to clients. Join Randy Batchelor, operations consultant for RPCS and founder of Sol Rebel, as he shares the story and lessons learned from the digital transformation that has illuminated their operations and positioned RPCS for success.
RP Construction Services (RPCS)
5:15 pm - 5:45 pm Unlock your information assets to drive digital transformationDan Griffith - Director Everteam
To unlock your information assets, you must:
- Connect to information assets across the organization
- Discover critical information inside the assets
- Organize and classify the assets
Dan will review three real-world use cases that show how organizations are reducing risks, saving money, and improving the efficiency and effectiveness of their digital transformation efforts.
5:15 pm - 5:45 pm Link customer journeys to internal processes across the end-to-end value chain to ensure customer-centric transformationBrandon Gerig - Process Design Manager Veritas
· Designing, mapping and recording customer journeys to identify customer pain points
· Re-designing operational processes to meet the customers demands
Brandon GerigProcess Design Manager
5:15 pm - 5:45 pm Using Design Thinking to facilitate InnovationDietrich Fisher - SVP, Director Business Transformation and Process Strategy BBVA Compass
· Matching the Methods to your Objective – focusing more for new products, new customer experiences, transformative change
· Design Thinking Using an Agile Framework (3-6-9 Triangle)
· Understanding key considerations on getting started
· 4 phases for accurate execution: Comprehension – Ideation – Prototyping – Evaluation
· Case studies and business cases from BBVA
Dietrich FisherSVP, Director Business Transformation and Process Strategy
5:45 pm - 6:15 pm Inspirational/Fun + interactive plenary Emotional business: How to use emotion in business to drive your innovation and transformational agendaRavi Rao - Top 20 Emotional Intelligence Expert Author of "Emotional Business"
Our inspirational speaker Ravi Rao MD PhD, is a culture transformation catalyst for large organisations. Through a combination of diagnostic assessment and experiential workshops for both executives and frontline associates, Ravi uses individual guidance and advising on people systems to create the conditions for fundamental change to occur. His book “Emotional Business: Inspiring Human Connectedness to Grow Earnings & The Economy” (2012) remains in the Top 3000 books on Amazon across multiple business subcategories four years after its release. Based on his experience as a neuroscience expert and former McKinsey consultant, Ravi has developed an emotions-based approach to improving financial performance in multinational companies and will share this with you in a workshop and as a plenary closing activity. Ravi’s clients in five continents span across many innovative sectors including entertainment, retail fashion, and financial services.
Ravi RaoTop 20 Emotional Intelligence Expert
Author of "Emotional Business"
6:15 pm - 7:45 pm PEX Party with Transformation Leaders
Besides curating great content, PEX is also good at throwing parties to help you unwind and make some new friends in a much more relaxed setting! Our fun-loving community members and summit attendees always find the PEX parties a must attend event. Grab yourself a glass of bubbly, immerse yourself in the beautiful summer evening in San Diego and time to have some fun!